[New on scene] Kim Chang
简介It’s rare for a rookie director like Kim Chang-hoon, whose debut action noir “Hopeless” hits local t ...
It’s rare for a rookie director like Kim Chang-hoon, whose debut action noir “Hopeless” hits local theaters this week, to be invited to the Cannes International Film Festival.
“(The festival took place in) a foreign country so I couldn’t really understand the feedback (I received). But just last week in Busan, I was able to meet with local audiences and hear their responses and communicate with them,” Kim told The Korea Herald in an interview in Seoul on Tuesday.
Kim and the actors from “Hopeless” attended the Busan International Film Festival which kicked off last Thursday for the Korean premiere of the film and for open talk sessions.
As the screenwriter and director of “Hopeless,” a film revolving around Yeo-kyu (Hong Sa-bin), a teenager abused by his stepfather, and his encounter with the right-hand man of a gang boss, Chi-gun (Song Joong-ki), Kim said he thought deeply about how the decisions one makes have consequences.
“When I was working on the scenario of ‘Hopeless,’ I was in a financially and mentally difficult situation. I thought about how you reap what you sow,” he said.
“I took on so many part time jobs to make ends meet while preparing for this film. I can’t even list them all because I did so many. I worked at a motel during the day and worked on my scenario while all the guests were asleep at night. Of course, it was a really difficult time, but I really appreciate it because I was able to write ‘Hopeless’ there,” he added.
Seoul Western District Court on Wednesday handed down a fine of 8 million won ($6,200) to the chief ...
Eugene Group, a mid-sized South Korean conglomerate with businesses ranging from distribution to fin ...
Samsung SDI said Monday it has clinched a deal to supply electric vehicle batteries for Hyundai Moto ...
Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
Samsung Biologics to offer solutions for Kurma Partners' portfolio firms
Mirae Asset seeks generational change in leadership reshuffle
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
Coway ramps up environmental protection
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- [Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- US eases export controls on chip equipment for Samsung, SK factories in China
- DB Robotics invents nation's first hybrid electric rollator
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
- GOT7’s Youngjae to release 1st solo LP “Do It” next month
- Yoon, doctors set to clash over medical school quota
- US strategic bomber B
- Hyundai Motor shows off air mobility, drone tech at Seoul defense fair
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- Another suspect of Tajik duo behind S. Korean money exchange robbery nabbed
- USS Carl Vinson deploys for Indo
- Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
- Seoul subway on verge of strike
- TvN Sports, CGV to screen Bundesliga’s first ‘Korean derby’
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문