The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
简介Leaders of the ruling People Power Party pledged Thursday to heed the voice of the people and come u ...
Leaders of the ruling People Power Party pledged Thursday to heed the voice of the people and come up with extraordinary measures to win back their trust after a crushing defeat in this week's by-election for chief of Seoul's Gangseo Ward office.
Jin Kyo-hoon of the main opposition Democratic Party won 56.52 percent of the vote against his People Power Party rival Kim Tae-woo's 39.37 percent in Wednesday's election seen as a test of voter sentiment ahead of next year's parliamentary elections.
The larger-than-expected margin of 17.15 percentage points was seen as a warning against the way the administration of President Yoon Suk Yeol handles state affairs and alarmed the ruling party at a time when April's general elections are only six months away.
"Our party has put forward our best efforts, with sincerity, but was unable to receive the choice of the Gangseo Ward residents," People Power Party leader Kim Gi-hyeon said in a party leadership meeting. "We will analyze the reasons for the defeat in a cool-headed manner and come up with extraordinary measures to win the general elections."
The People Power Party floor leader, Rep. Yun Jae-ok, vowed to put more effort into caring for people's livelihoods.
"We will analyze the election result and the various difficulties people are going through so as to make up the shortfalls in party policies and management and pour all our energy into the recovery of the economy and people's livelihoods," he said.
On Friday, the People Power Party plans to hold a meeting of its leadership to gather plans to improve the party's structure ahead of the upcoming general elections, said People Power Party's chief spokesperson, Rep. Kang Min-kuk.
Wednesday's by-election took place after Kim was removed from the top post of the ward office in May due to a suspended prison sentence for leaking secrets he gained while working for a special inspection team under former President Moon Jae-in. (Yonhap)
Im Soo-jung and Lee Dong-wook seem like a good match in Korean romance flicks – as seen in Lee’s spe ...
Youngjae of the K-pop boy group GOT7 is returning to the music scene with his first solo full-length ...
Bilateral cooperation between Chile and South Korea is crucial, as they have a shared goal of boosti ...
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- [Herald Interview] Director Lee Chung
- Ruling party to launch innovation committee after crushing by
- BTS Jungkook's star
- Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
- Scholars shed light on late Samsung chief’s management initiatives
"조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
Kia management, union reach tentative wage deal to avoid strike
Criminal procedures for foreigners in Korea
S. Korean industries to see modest recovery in 2024: think tank
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Anthropologist stresses multidisciplinary approach for strong Korean studies
- Pianist Sohn Min
- US envoy vows to make clear 'inextricable' link between N. Korea's human rights abuses, threats
- [From the scene] Jazz music livens up Seoul's streets
- [Korean History] In 2004, serial murderer with goal to kill 100 was stopped at 20
- 인요한 만난 김종인 “처방은 잘했지만, 환자가 약을 먹어야”
- LX Holdings CEO promoted to president
- S. Korea retakes No. 1 spot in global shipbuilding orders in Oct.
- [Herald Interview] Korea
- 김성태 "인요한, 방향 잘 설정해 뚜벅뚜벅 잘 하고 있다"
- 尹, 과학기술자문회의와 오찬 “예타 간소화·예산집행 유연화 필요”
- Gangnam teen investigated for assaulting deliveryman with golf club
- Two dead in Gyeongju construction site collapse
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- Korean banks at risk of W3tr in losses in HK
- 이상민 "현실적 선택지는 국민의힘…12월 초까지 거취 결정"
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- [Herald Interview] Korea ramps up high
- 군사력은 미국이 우위지만, 글로벌 공급망은 미·중 비등 [중앙포럼]
- [Herald Review] Korean and Welsh dance companies share creativity in 'Wales Connection'
- [KH explains] Hyundai to sell vehicles on Amazon in US sales push
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- Korea to start hiring E
- '12.12: The Day’ attracts 1.8m moviegoers in five days since opening
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- 홍준표, 하태경 종로 출마 선언에…"주사파 출신이 갈 곳 아니다"
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts