Samsung SDI, Stellantis to set up 2nd JV plant in Indiana
简介Samsung SDI said Thursday it is poised to set up a second electric vehicle battery manufacturing pla ...
Samsung SDI said Thursday it is poised to set up a second electric vehicle battery manufacturing plant with Stellantis in the US state of Indiana.
The production facility will be built by StarPlus Energy, a joint venture of Samsung SDI and Stellantis in the city of Kokomo, next to the JV’s first plant under construction within the region.
The first and second StarPlus Energy Kokomo Gigafactory plants will start operation in the first quarter of 2025 and early 2027 for 33 GWh and 34 GWh capacity, respectively. The two companies have reportedly injected a total of 7.9 trillion won ($5.9 billion) into the project.
The two plants will manufacture prismatic nickel, manganese and cobalt batteries for Stallantis’ plug-in hybrid cars and battery-powered EVs.
Home to Stellantis’ car parts manufacturing base and the joint battery plants with Samsung SDI, Kokomo is expected to be at the forefront of the carmaker’s electrification strategy, according to the battery maker.
“With the second StarPlus Energy plant, the company will be securing the largest production base of EV batteries in North America,” said Samsung SDI CEO Choi Yoon-ho in a statement. “Based on Samsung SDI’s ‘super gap’ technologies, we expect Stellantis’ electric cars to push forward the EV transition in the US.”
Samsung SDI is also constructing another battery plant with General Motors through a joint venture. Scheduled to complete construction by 2026, its annual capacity of cylindrical and prismatic battery cells is projected to be 30 GWh.
By 2027, the company will be operating three battery production sites in the US – two with Stellantis and one with GM – with a total capacity of 97 GWh.
The vote for the host city of the 2030 World Expo is set to take place in Paris on Tuesday, with Sou ...
North Korea has formally shuttered its embassy in Spain, marking the first confirmed instance of suc ...
Foreign Minister Park Jin will discuss North Korea’s nuclear threats and other key issues with US Se ...
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- [Herald Review] ‘Zzz’ lulls audience to sleep through onstage performance
- Subway car seats to be removed in two subway cars for more space: Seoul Metro
- 협치 첫 단추 ‘현수막 난립방지법’ 소위 통과
- Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
Korean Air orders 20 Airbus A321neo aircraft
SK chief calls on board members to help CEOs make balanced decisions
ArtToken, KAIST sign MOU to cooperate in art, technology fields
Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
[Herald Review] ‘Zzz’ lulls audience to sleep through onstage performance
- Disney+’s ‘Moving’ sweeps BIFF’s Asia Contents Awards & Global OTT Awards
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- [Weekender] Waiting on the North: Unified Korean dictionary project's long journey
- [Korean History] 2002, when Korea soared through World Cup
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world
- 'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
- Seoul shares dip amid grim outlook for EV sector
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"
- SK Signet delivers W5b ultrafast EV chargers to Revel
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- Man fined for assaulting soldiers who refused to praise Kim Jong
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- Eximbank holds workshop on development financing
- Hyundai Motor partners with IUCN for forest project in Vietnam
- Silversmith William Lee wins Craft Prize 2023
- Hyundai looks to repeat late founder’s Mideast success with EVs, hydrogen
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- 이준석, 유승민과 창당설에 “배제 안 한다…한다면 비례 신당은 아냐”
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi
- Maestro Semyon Bychkov breaks silence on Israel–Hamas war
- [Today’s K
- Seoul shares open flat despite US gains
- 국회서 피켓‧고성 사라지나…여야, 정쟁자제 '신사협정' 체결