USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to arrive in Busan this week
简介The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base ...
The nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier will arrive at a key South Korean naval base later this week, Seoul's defense ministry said Tuesday, in a major show of force against North Korean threats.
Carrier Strike Group 5, which includes the aircraft carrier, the Aegis-equipped USS Shoup destroyer and other warships, will enter the naval base in Busan, 320 kilometers southeast of Seoul, on Thursday for a five-day visit, according to the ministry.
The USS Ronald Reagan last visited South Korea in September 2022 for the first time after about four years. It is the second U.S. aircraft carrier to visit the nation this year after the USS Nimitz docked in Busan in March for naval drills with South Korea.
The visit comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea unveiled a new "tactical nuclear attack" submarine early last month. It has also vowed to launch a military spy satellite again this month after two failed attempts this year.
The ministry said the carrier strike group's visit has been scheduled as part of the U.S. commitment to further enhance the "regular visibility" of strategic assets to the peninsula as outlined by their leaders in the Washington Declaration issued in April this year.
"(The visit) is a key demonstration of the U.S.' extended deterrence in action, and will become an opportunity to strengthen the combined defense posture for an immediate, overwhelming and decisive response against North Korea's continued provocations," Vice Adm. Kim Myung-soo, South Korea's Fleet Commander, was quoted as saying.
The U.S. carrier strike group took part in a two-day trilateral exercise in international waters southeast of the resort island of Jeju through Tuesday, involving South Korean and Japanese warships, the first such drills in seven years.
During its stay in Busan, the U.S. carrier strike group plans to conduct friendly exchanges with the South Korean Navy. (Yonhap)
AliExpress, an online direct purchase platform owned by Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, is c ...
Park Jong-bok, the CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Korea, has been nominated as the sole final candid ...
South Korea’s mobile app store operator One Store said Tuesday that it has secured an investment wor ...
Seoul anticipates 3
One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
Gimbap and hanja cramming: Life of Korean Studies students in Paris
Yoon lauds rapid growth of Korean defense industry
Korea to showcase advanced climate technologies at COP28 Dubai
Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- 혼전임신 직원에 "애비없는 애"…갑질 서기관 감싼 복지부 논란
- [Herald Interview] Dyson engineer stresses potential of Korean hair care market
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- Animal shelter busted for killing and burying hundreds of pets
- Han Sung Motor commits to give back to society
- Bill pushed to let South Korea list Hamas as foreign terrorist before UN
- Seoul subway to hold second strike Nov. 22
- Seoul shares close higher as US inflation softens
- Hyundai Motor chair wins top UK royal honor
- Why Suneung is always on a Thursday
- 송영길 “비례정당 출마 검토”…조국과 연대 가능성도 시사
- N. Korea 'satisfied' with tests of solid
- Naver's QR payment service available in 42 countries
- [KH explains] Chinese battery makers gobbling up Korean rivals’ European market share
- S. Korea, US revise deterrence strategy amid growing NK threats
- BNK Busan Bank to pilot English
- Congressional panel official stresses space
- Russian delegation arrives in Pyongyang for trade, science talks: KCNA
- Ive, aespa, NewJeans, StayC and Kiss of Life join star
- UN committee adopts resolution on N. Korean human rights for 19th straight year
- Top diplomats of S. Korea, US, Japan hold talks on margins of APEC summit
- Prix Medicis winning Han Kang wants next novel to be like 'spring'